Thursday, April 21, 2011

Product or Name?

Major corporations such as Nike, The North Face, TOMS, and Apple sell products on a daily basis.  Jackets, shoes, phones, Ipods, and many other items are constantly being sold to consumers.  Corporations produce these items and then sell them to the public.  They not only sell their products but they also sell themselves.  They sell a way of life that their products create.  In my opinion, corporations sell most of their products by first selling an image and a lifestyle.  Many corporations find a way to get their consumers to percieve a certain product as something truly life changing and a must-have.  For instance, Apple sells the image of technology and an easier life because of the technology.  Nike sells the image of being athletic and in shape.  The name of the corporation is what is sold most of the time.  Another great example is the brand Ugg.  They sell all kinds of designer shoes including boots, tennis shoes, flip flops, etc.  There are plenty of other brands that sell shoes much like Ugg's but the price is much lower on the other brands.  Ugg is just a name but it is an expensive name.  The North Face is the same way.  My North Face jacket does not keep me any warmer than my jacket from JC Penny's but I had to have it.  This is because of the image it sells.  When I think of The North Face I think of a sporty, trendy jacket that is popular and in style.  I want this jacket because of the name that is on the front, not because of the fabric or warmth factor.  Most of us are guilty of buying a name and not a product.  Many corporations build their name into something that we as consumers feel we must have and then the corporations advertise their name at every chance they get.  This is a good business tactic because consumers get sucked in by the thousands.  We have to be aware of corporations that are selling their name more than their product because the product itself may not be worth what we spend on it.  Corporations realize how vulnerable we are towards ideas, images, and better lifestyles and they act on that daily.  Just think twice next time you go to buy a product.  Is it the product that you truly want or is it the name?


4 comments:

  1. Dear Britney,
    Numerous corporations are not just selling their products. They are also selling their image to the public. Like you said in your blog many people buy products just because of the brand that made it. Lots of people think that certain brand names are better than other brands. Many people also buy brand name products because it is popular to do. Another thing that you mentioned is that many companies are selling a lifestyle. They make their products seem like they are for certain people. They also try to make their products appear reliable. Thank you for writing Britney. Brand name products are usually similar to generic products but brand name companies advertise more. They make their products seem like they are the best products on the market.
    Junco

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Britney,

    You are so right on with this post. Many "brands" become fads. We not only like the product, but it's "in" right then, so we just feel the need to "have" it. I am guilty of it myself. I don't always like to follow the crowd, but sometimes I do because I also really LIKE the product, not just because everyone else has it! :P

    "Many corporations build their name into something that we as consumers feel we must have and then the corporations advertise their name at every chance they get." I think once we get one item of a certain "brand" we keep going back for more. Especially if we are satisfied with the product. We also enjoy the way that product made us "feel" so we have to keep ourselves feeling good about ourselves! =)


    "Just think twice next time you go to buy a product. Is it the product that you truly want or is it the name?" Good point! I know that for me, I am not going to go out & by something just "because everyone else has it". If I like it, I will get it, if not....I will not. For example TOMS. everyone has them, & some people can pull them off, but I do not like them, & do not own a pair. Many people just have them because "everyone else has them" & they want to "fit in."

    Great post & thank you for sharing.

    Rhino

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Writer,

    I very much enjoyed your post on this topic. It's something that I can totally relate to and agree with, because every time we shop, we are faced with many decisions about brand name items.

    One statement that stood out to me was "they sell a way of life that their products create." This was an interesting statement, because it really made me think about how much it affects us as shoppers. By the products they sell and the way they sell them, corporations control our interests. They stick the expensive labels on the front of any average products and suddenly we have to have it.

    I agreed with you when you said "most of us are guilty of buying a name and not a product." I think that the name makes the biggest difference in the products we buy, and can make or break a shopping decision. Corporations are very aware of this, I'm sure, which is why they advertise their brands so extensively.

    Thanks so much for posting about this topic. It was very informative and I think that all shoppers should consider how much the label influences their shopping decisions.

    Sincerely,

    Baltimore Oriole

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear cbrit,

    I really like this topic. I have actually had this conversation with some of the guys in my fraternity. A lot of them like to wear Polo shirts. They are $30 a T-Shirt, and yes they are comfortable, but not worth $30. It is 100% cotton. How much could it really cost?

    In you passage, “Is it the product that you truly want or is it the name?” stood out to me. I find myself doing this a lot. I tend to lean towards buying things with name brands on them. If I would just go into Kohl’s or Wal-Mart, I could find the same thing for 25% the price as it would be in Dillard’s or American Eagle. The only problem is it won’t have the right symbol on it showing that I bought it from American Eagle Outfitters. As much as I don’t like to admit it, I catch myself buying for name brands and style.

    I agree with your statement, “My North Face jacket does not keep me any warmer than my jacket from JC Penny's but I had to have it.” I have a North Face jacket as well. It works just as much as all my other jackets do. It is not any better, but not any worse either. Americans like style and status. Name brands help Americans reach that goal.

    Thank you for writing about this topic. I think it’s great that you happened to write about something I talked about just last week. If you can keep reading my mind, I will be back.

    ReplyDelete